Thursday, June 27, 2013

Oblivion on DVD

Say what you will about Tom Cruise, but Oblivion has definitely been one of my favorite movies of 2013.  This sci-fi epic will be released on DVD on August 6th of this year, and is currently available to pre-order on Amazon.  The following link is to a Blu-ray, DVD, digital, and Ultra-Violet copy for $23.99.

http://amzn.com/B008JFUO4U

The movie is set on a post-apocalyptic earth where Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough are among the last people on Earth, after most of the planet has been destroyed in an alien war.  They are tasked with maintaining the equipment that is harvesting the last of Earth's water before they are able to join the rest of humanity who has fled Titian - one of Saturn's moons - which is actually one of the most likely locations for future colonization of the outer solar system.  This post isn't meant to be a synopsis or a review, so I'll keep this brief.  I will, however, compliment Joseph Kosinski (Kosinski is responsible for writing the graphic novel that the film is based on, as well as directing and producing it) on cleverly making me think I had the movie figured out and then slap me repeatedly in the face with his twists.  Although the twists seemed very generic and simple, I enjoyed them quite a bit more than I would've thought.  It may not be mind-blowing on the level of a Christopher Nolan movie, but it also wasn't a mindless sci-fi movie either.

No comments:

Post a Comment